Langley Centennial Museum
Add As Favorite
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Program for the Official Opening of the Langley Municipal Hall.
13 Jun. 1959.
Program: b&w; for the Official Opening of the Langley Municipal Hall; features a photo of the Hall on the front with the text "Official Opening" and "LANGLEY MUNICIPAL HALL / JUNE 13th, 1959 - 2:30 P.M." The inside features the program for the event, including introduction of council and welcome to guests by Reeve D. W. Poppy, ribbon cutting by Ex-Councillor J. W. Bray, the unveiling of the plaque by Coun. E.S. Flowerdew; a photo of Hon. W. D. Black, Minister of Municipal Affairs, some text about the design and construction of the building, as well as floor plans and statistics; the back page features a list of councillors and municipal officials in 1959, including municipal clerk and treasurer D. J. Doubleday, deputy municipal clerk Miss E. V. Coates, planning officer K. R. Major, officer in charge of the R.C.M.P. Sgt. T. Brue, Langholm superintendent Mrs. C. Newman, and Cemetery Commissioners G. F. Young and S. Monahan. Some tape marks are visible on the last pages as it seems to have been taped into a scrapbook at some point.
Brue, Theodore (Ted) Olaf (1911-1997)
Theodore (Ted) Olaf Brue was born in Provost, Alberta in 1911. When he was 10 the family moved to Vancouver, where he attended Britannia High School. After high school he returned to Provost, eventually taking half interest in the store his father still owned there. He married Frances Demskie in 1934 in Strome, Alberta and the couple had two children, Anita and Jeanette. They left Provost in 1936 and Brue was involved in various enterprises before opening a store for himself in Vancouver. In 1941 he joined the BC Provincial Police Force and was posted at Rivers Inlet. He then moved to headquarters in Victoria and then after a course, was stationed in Richmond until 1944, when he was transferred to Prince Rupert. He was there until 1947, and during this time he became a constable. Next he went to Terrace, where he was in charge of the detachment. The RCMP took over the provincial force in August 1950, and in 1952 Brue received his corporal's stripes. He was transferred to Langley in 1954 where he was in charge of the detachment, and the family bought 2/3 acre at 20264 Michaud Crescent. When he started in Langley the police office was on Topping Road (now 204th Street), in the old O'Neill house, in the same building as the Columbia Funeral Parlour. Brue was in charge of organizing the detachment when the city broke away from the municipality a year later; the municipality's detachment moved to Fraser Highway (then the Trans-Canada Highway) and Livingstone Road (232nd St.), and Brue was in charge at this new location (this building later became a plumbing shop called EDS Pumps). Cells were in the basement. On main floor was a courtroom (on left when facing the building, facing south) and police office (on right, separated from the court room by a wall and/or staircase) and the RCMP members could sleep upstairs. Brue's daughter Jeanette remembers that they painted the court room pink (not Ted Brue's choice). One time, an officer had to come down and declare a court session open - while wearing his pajamas. The building was demolished in approx. 2018. In 1957 Brue was made a sergeant. Brue was very musical and could play piano, saxophone and harmonica, could hear a song once or twice and play it, and also composed music and poetry. He was a member of the Masons, Tsimpsian Lodge No. 58, and attended the Masonic Lodge on Fraser Highway, was on the RCMP degree team, and belonged to the Royal Arch. He also curled with the police team in Cloverdale during his time in Langley. Ted and Frances were members of the Langley United Church. After Langley, Sergeant Brue was transferred to Brandon, Manitoba in 1961, and Winnipeg in 1963. In 1969 Brue moved to Richmond, where he officially retired from the RCMP at age 58. After his RCMP retirement he served with the BC Corps of Commissionaires at the Workman's Compensation Board until age 65. He passed away at age 85 on February 6, 1997.
Coates, Elenore Verna Elizabeth
E.V. (Lornie) Coates was an Asst. Clerk for the City of Langley in 1960. Elenore Verna Elizabeth Coates was born on May 5, 1920, to Ralph W. S. Coates (1890-1936) and Verna Beryl Coates. She never married. Elenore died on September 19, 1998.
Doubleday, Derek John
Derek John Doubleday was born in Bottesford, England on June 13, 1923. He attended King's School in Grantham. He served as a navigator in the RAF during the Second World War. After arriving in Langley he served the Township of Langley for 35 years, first as the Chief Clerk at the Langley Municipal Hall, and as an administrator in April 1981. He was honoured as a freeman of the Township after his retirement. He also served on the labour relations board for 5 years, ans was a Civil Marriage Commissioner for 49 years. Doubleday was a member of the Chartered Institute of Secretaries for many years. He also was very involved with the United Church. He died in White Rock on October 23, 2003.
Term Source: Photo No. 1297
Langley (Township) Municipal Council.
Langley Municipal Hall
SEE Township of Langley Municipal Hall
The Township of Langley Municipal Hall was at 4700-224 Street, Langley. The placement of the Hall reflected the growth of the original communities of Fort Langley and Murrayville. In 2006, the Township of Langley moved its Municipal Hall to the Township of Langley Civic Facility at 20338-65 Avenue, a part of the growing area of Willoughby. The new facility also includes a new library, fitness room, several businesses and a new community policing station.
Municipal staff (see municipal employees)
Poppy, David William, Jr.
David William Poppy was Mayor of the Township of Langley from 1967 - 1971, Reeve 1956 - 1967 and Councillor in 1944, 1946 - 1955.
Term Source: Roads & Other Place Names in Langley, B.C. pg 41(Pepin).
Township of Langley. Municipal Council.
The Township of Langley, B.C., comprising Langley, Fort Langley, Murrayville, Langley Prairie, Derby, Milner, Aldergrove, Otter, Salmon River Uplands, and Glen Valley, was incorporated in 1873. The City of Langley, B.C., covering the Langley Prairie region, was incorporated as a separate entity in 1955.
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Argus v126.96.36.199 - Langley Centennial Museum