Langley Centennial Museum
Add As Favorite
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Township of Langley 2015 Community Halls Sourcebook.
Book: coil bound; soft-cover; cover features a collage of 9 photos related to Langley's community halls and the words " Community Halls Sourcebook / An initiative of the Township of Langley's Heritage Advisory Committee / 2015"; contains information regarding the different community halls within the Township of Langley; book is 84 pages in length; on the back cover it reads "HAC / Heritage Advisory Committee" with the Township of Langley's address, and the words "a part of our heritage" is printed in cursive along the spine.
The Elks Hall was located in Aldergrove (Elks Lodge No. 66) and opened in 1926. It was demolished in the 1980s. Later there was just the one Langley Elks Hall, near Murrayville. Term Source: HPC Record (HPC-152/950)
The Fernridge Hall, located at 2389 200 Street, was constructed in 1921 to serve as a gathering and event space for the local community. Edward Bence Stinchcombe (1866-1929) was the original owner of the parcel of land on which the Fernridge Hall is located. Stinchcombe acquired the land in 1903 through a Crown Grant and it remained in his ownership until 1927 when it was transferred to the ownership of the Fern Ridge Farmers Institute, two years before Stinchcombe’s death. The interwar period (1920-1934) was tumultuous, as many communities experienced a short, but prosperous development boom, followed by the devastating stock market crash of 1929. The Fernridge Hall was constructed in 1921, just following the First World War, when the economy was still in a delicate state, yet communities were growing quickly, as soldiers returned and established larger, settled families. The Fernridge Hall was lost likely constructed as a response to the demand of this growing community. On August 6th, 1931 the Hall, then known as the Fern Ridge Farmers Institute Hall, was severely damaged in a dynamite explosion. In 1943, ownership of the Hall transferred to the Campbell River Heritage community Club, followed by the Fernridge Community Club in 1952, and, finally, the Fernridge Community Hall Society, which acquired the property in June 1986 and continues to operate the site.
As of 2012, the Fernridge Hall continues to be an important local gathering place. It retains its original appearance, though a kitchen/entryway/washroom area was added in 1957 and vinyl siding was clad on top of the original siding. The Hall maintains original elements such as its vaulted ceiling, hardwood floors, stage area, and window assemblies.
The Hall was added to the Langley Heritage Inventory in 2012 because "as one of the earliest and only remaining community buildings in the area, the Fernridge Hall is significant to the post-World War I development of Langley"
All information from the Langley Heritage Inventory Assessment, 2012.
Fort Langley Community Hall
This location was the site of the first town hall, although it was closer to the north-east corner of the lot, near the Fort Grocery. In 1924 the Fort Langley Women's Institute, led by the second Mrs. Hector Morrison, started the Fort Langley Community Improvement Society with the idea of building a new town hall. In 1925 the old town hall grounds are purchased from the municipality for $137.13, the amount of the tax bill still owing.
Although the Fort Langley Community Improvement Association had been primarily founded in 1924 by the second Mrs. Hector Morrison (nee Hadden), George Young became a very active influential member as well. Archibald Campbell Hope, architect brother of local Charles Edward Hope, was commissioned to plan the new hall. Construction on the building did not begin until 1930. On March 6, 1931, the formal opening and Inaugural Dance was held, and that same year maple trees were planted by members of the board, those along the north by the women and along the south by the men, and the cherry trees were later donated by another supporter. Originally the hall was painted dark brown.
The Community Hall became a designated Heritage site September 10, 1979.
Glen Valley Hall
Glen Valley Hall was built between 1912-1913 at 27220 91A Avenue. The land for the hall was donated. Tom Leaf, who was around 15 years old at the time, was one of a small group of volunteers from the community that helped to build it. In the late 1920’s it was used for a couple of years as a school but due to lack of insulation it was said to be very cold in the winter. There were many updates and additions done to the building over the years. In 1948 the building was submerged in flood waters and more repairs were needed to be done at that time, unfortunately all the updates and repairs were done without consideration of original materials.
The building was managed by the Glen Valley Hall Society and was remembered for its weekly dances, social interactions, and a community meeting place up until around the mid 1980’s when the society folded, and the place fell into a state of disrepair. It served as storage for a neighboring property for many years. A report dated August 2014 showed that it was recommended to be sold and that the building had no heritage or historic value.
Milner Community Hall
(Also listed as Milner Community Hall/Food Market/Esso)
Found at 6830-216 Street, the Milner Community Hall is a two-storey building built in 1912. The ground floor was used for various commercial enterprises, including the Bank of Hamilton. The upper floor had a hardwood floor and was used for dances and other community events. From 1922-1924, the Milner Co-operative Society leased two ground floor rooms to the Langley School Board.
Murrayville Community Hall
Murrayville's original community hall was a two storey structure with shops at ground level and a large open hall above. In 1924 cultural and athletic activities suffered blow when the building burned down. The site was vacant until 1928 when community effort and volunteer labour, led by foreman Ab Sherritt, built the existing (2019) hall on same site at 21667 48 Ave. At this time, the land was still owned by P.Y. Porter. The Murrayville Community Memorial Hall was built as a memorial to WWI soldiers from Langley, and was officially opened April 27, 1929. PY Porter sold the property to the Murrayville Community Hall Association for $1 in 1944. PY, and later his son, Eldy Porter, were in charge of the care, maintenance and bookings for some time. The hall has been modernized and upgraded in recent years.
Term Source: "Langley's Heritage," "1990 and Counting".
Township of Langley
The Township of Langley, B.C., comprising Langley, Fort Langley, Murrayville, Langley Prairie, Derby, Milner, Aldergrove, Otter, Salmon River Uplands, and Glen Valley, was incorporated in 1873. The City of Langley, B.C., covering the Langley Prairie region, was incorporated as a separate entity in 1955. Langley was named after Thomas Langley, a prominent stockholder in the management of the Hudson's Bay Company. He had inherited his brother's stock in the Company in 1793 and was selected as a member of the committee in 1807. He held this position until his death in 1829.
Township of Langley. Heritage Advisory Committee.
The Township of Langley, B.C., comprising Langley, Fort Langley, Murrayville, Langley Prairie, Derby, Milner, Aldergrove, Otter, Salmon River Uplands, and Glen Valley, was incorporated in 1873.
West Langley Community Hall
The original West Langley Community Hall was located near the intersection of 208th Street and 96th Avenue. It was built to provide local residents with a gathering place for social and sports activities. It was opened in 1934, extended in 1942 to add a kitchen, and again in 1972 to add a basement. Indoor plumbing was added in 1962. It burnt down on March 26, 1976. A new West Langley Community Hall was rebuilt about 150 yards east of the original site, beside West Langley Park, and was officially opened on November 5, 1977. The West Langley Community Hall Association was incorporated as a Society in 1947 and dissolved in 1997.
Earliest mention of Willoughby School goes back to 1921 when classes were held in the original Willoughby Community Hall at the corner of 83rd Ave. and 208 St. known in those days as the corner of Scholes Rd. and Alexander Rd. For three years students in every grade were accommodated in the hall but in 1924 that arrangement was closed and the children in this area for the next 7 years went to either Milner or West Langley schools.
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Argus v22.214.171.124 - Langley Centennial Museum