Langley Centennial Museum
Add As Favorite
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Langley Prairie, B.C. fire insurance map.
Black and white copy of map in three sheets (a-c), numbered in the top corners as 1, 2, and 3. The first sheet (a) has the title "Insurance Plan of/ LANGLEY PRAIRIE B.C./ Situated on the Yale Road (Cariboo Highway) 27 Miles East of Vancouver/ Surveyed September 1939 by Plan Division/ British Columbia Underwriters Association/ POPULATION: Approx. 200, DISTRICT: 600/ NO FIRE PROTECTION." On the right at the top of the first sheet are two grey boxes, laid over each other. The one which is only visible at the top reads "REVISED SEPTEMBER 1941," and the one laying over it reads "REVISED 1947/ Change of occupancies and minor buildings not/ noticed unless covered by correction slip/ LANGLEY PRAIRIE/ B.C./ PLAN DEPARTMENT/ British Columbia Underwriters' Association." The second sheet (b), numbered "2" has "LANGLEY PRAIRIE, B.C./ September 1939" written beside the number 2, to the left, and "LANGLEY GREENHOUSES/ 1930 LIMITED" written in large letters in the centre of the bottom portion of the sheet. The third sheet (c) has the number "3" in the top left corner, with "LANGLEY PRAIRIE B.C./ September 1939" beside it on the right. The map, on all three sheets, includes Old Yale Road, the B.C. Electric Railway (BCER), New McLellan Road, Topping Road, Thronton Road, Divine Road, Douglas Crescent, Glover Road, and Roberts Road. Langley High School is on sheet 3, in the bottom right corner. There is named also Crown Hotel, motion picture theatre, Brackman-Ker flour and feed, Langley Hotel (beer parlour), Buckerfield's milling flour and feed, McGavin's loading shed, and Mill Bros. lumber yard.
Brackman-Ker Milling & Feed Store
Brackman-Ker operated in many BC communities, including a location on the north side of Fraser Highway at Innes Corner that opened in 1917. For many years it was a local landmark, as the grain elevator was one of the tallest buildings in the area. The store provided residents with a variety of feed, the most popular being a dairy mix and a laying mix for poultry. Brackman-Ker was for years a competitor for Buckerfields, but was ultimately absorbed by the other company. The old office, warehouse and elevator tower on Fraser Highway were demolished in 1954.
Term Source: Warren Sommer's "From Prairie to City: A History of the City of Langley"
British Columbia Electric Railway Company Ltd. (BCER)
The British Columbia Electric Railway's interurban passenger service for the Fraser Valley, B.C., area came through Langley in 1910. The company was building rail lines into Langley as early as 1906, when they signed an agreement with Langley government. The company itself began as a merger of the National Electric Tramway and Lighting Company (Victoria), Vancouver Electric Railway and Light Company Ltd., and Vancouver & Westminster Tramway Company, and was responsible for hydroelectric power generation, power transmission, and electric rail lines on Vancouver Island and in Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. All three companies had gone into receivership in 1895, and the BCER was met with receivership in 1896, following the Point Ellice Bridge Disaster in Victoria. The company was only able to survive through assistance from London financers, and began operations in 1897 as an English-owned company. A station built at 240 St. in the general area formerly known as Harmsworth in Langley was named after Rochfort Henry Sperling, general manager of the B.C. Electric Company, and the area subsequently came to be known as Sperling community. In 1910, a substation was built at Coghlan, and still stands (2021). The substation stepped the voltage from the power transmission lines down for use by the trains passing through. It did not provide power to the surrounding community. Interurban passenger services on the B.C.E.R's Fraser Valley Line ceased in 1950. The company ended all service in 1958, and broke up into the branches it is modernly: BC Hydro, Translink, and BC Transit.
Buckerfields absorbed the Brackman-Ker Milling and Feed Company. Buckerfields remained at their downtown Langley location until 1986, when they moved to a building on the east side of 200th Street, south of the Langley Bypass (but north of the train tracks). It closed permanently on 1998 and the land was redeveloped.
Langley High School
In 1909 the first high school class was organized and held in rented quarters in Murrayville. From 1911-18, classes were held in Belmont Superior School (later Murrayville Elementary), but the school became overcrowded with elementary and high school students. The school board approached the Municipal Council, but their request for a new schol was turned down twice. The board resigned, but the next board was more successful and local contractor Owen Hughes was hired on a low bid of $11,900. The School Board temporarily found room for the overflow pupils from Murrayville in the downstairs portion of Milner Hall and by renting the Sharon Presbyterian Church Hall. In 1922, Langley High School moved from Murrayville to Milner School, where it remained until Langley High School was built on Yale Road in 1924. Langley High School opened in 1924 with two classrooms and one science room. It taught grades 9 to 12. Additional rooms were built in 1934. In roughly 1947 the new school on the current property (2005) was built, and it included Grades 11 and 12. In 1948, the old building on Fraser Highway became Langley Central Elementary, and the high school students moved to the current location (2006) at Langley SECONDARY School. In 1985 the school went from Grades 8-12.
See Also: Langley Secondary School
Term Source: History of Langley Schools" by Harry McTaggart, Maureen Pepin, and Norman Sherrit.
In 1920, John S. Donnelly opened a boarding house in Langley Prairie (this original location is unclear). By 1921, he was running the Station Hotel, a two-storey building just west of the railway station. Early in the same year it was renamed the Langley Prairie Hotel, and became the Half-Way Hotel later that year. In 1926 Conrad Traversy started running the business, and renamed it the Langley Hotel. The next year Ralph Godall and his wife took over the hotel, and on May 21, 1928, while they were away and a Mr. and Mrs. Rolph were looking after the hotel for them, a fire broke out at the rear of the hotel. Within a few minutes the whole hotel was on fire, starting the Langley Prairie Fire. The fire spread to Sam Brown's Barber Shop, Mclean's Dry Goods, the Interurban Station, and then across the road to Alf Warman's Bakery. From there it spread to the Hilton Brothers Garage, the Fraser Motors' storage shed, Wilfred DesRochers' tire sop, Fred Pollard's tinsmith shop, Jim Morris's grocery store, and Pete Prytherch's shoe repair shop. The Langley Hotel was not rebuilt on this site.
Langley Prairie became Langley City in 1955.
Old Yale Road
In the beginning it was a sleigh route. Serious construction started on it in 1872. The Langley Municipality in 1874 requested and received money from the province to make it suitable for buggy traffic through Langley. It was not in good condition until 1897 - 1898 when it was gravelled. In 1922 the first two mile section of the road was cemented between Langley Prairie and Murrayville. The cement was laid by A. B. Palmer Co, who stamped the date in the pavement at the end of each day.
See From: green timbers road, yale wagon road
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Create a New Saved List
Argus v188.8.131.52 - Langley Centennial Museum