Langley Centennial Museum
Hello, Guest
Add As Favorite
Language
Viewing Object
Print
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Select
/
Clear
Create a New Saved List
Add
,
Object Description
Share
Object Name
Book
Object ID
2018.053.001
Title
The Last of the Royal Engineers in British Columbia - Philip Jackman.
Date
2018.
Description
A brown softcover book titled "Philip Jackman." It is written by Virginia Cooke. The front cover has a water colour painting of Philip Jackman on a tan background. He has white hair and a white beard. He is wearing a brown hat and a brown jacket. The front cover reads "The Last of the Royal Engineers in British Columbia / Philip Jackman / Virginia Cooke." The back cover also has a tan back ground and the logo of the Township of Langley. Below it reads "The Last of the Royal Engineers in British Columbia / Philip Jackman / This is the story of a man whose life was transformed by his decision to join the Columbia Detachment of the Royal Engineers, and who helped to transform the colony and communities where he settled. / Philip Jackman's story is simultaneously the story of the Royal Engineers in the Fraser Valley." Below is "ISBN 978-0-9682654-3-7," the logo of marking the sixtieth anniversary of the Langley Centennial Museum and the logo of the British Columbia Arts Council. The book was published in 2018 by the Langley Centennial Museum. It has 123 pages.
People/Subject
Jackman, Philip
Philip Jackman was born in Devonshire, England, on April 12, 1835. On his 24th birthday, on April 12, 1859, he arrived in the Colony of B.C. as one of the Royal Engineers of the Columbia Detachment on the HMS Thames City. He worked on building the Douglas-Lillooet Road, the Cariboo Road, and he participated in the laying out of roads in New Westminster. In 1861, when he was working on the Dewdney Trail he accidentally chopped off a toe. In 1863 Jackman married Sarah Ann Lovegrove, who was believed to be a housekeeper for Colonel Richard Clement Moody of the Royal Engineers. After his disbandment of the Columbia Detachment in 1863, Jackman headed for the Cariboo in search of gold. In 1865, while working as the foreman of a work gang, he ended up breaking his right hand after a tree fell on top of him. He later worked as a night watchman in New Westminster. He moved to Aldergrove in 1886, and homesteaded and ran a store for three years. The business eventually went under and he took up work as a fishery guardian on the Fraser River for 14 years. From 1895-1897 he served as reeve of Langley. He died in 1927 at the age of 92.
Langley Centennial Museum
The Museum is located within a designated Heritage Conservation Area in the village of Fort Langley, Township of Langley. Community collecting began in the 1920's with a Native Sons of BC exhibit located in the last remaining Hudson's Bay Company fur trade era structure (circa 1840). A decision by the Canadian Parks Services to actively interpret Fort Langley prompted the provincial and municipal governments to cooperate in the construction of a new museum adjacent to the National Historic Site.
The Township-owned museum opened July 1, 1958 and housed a majority of the Native Sons collection. It was operated by volunteers until 1974 when it was selected by the Federal government as a site for one of 22 National Exhibition Centres across Canada. The physical plant doubled in size, its mandate was extended to include art, history and science traveling exhibitions and the first staff person was hired. Federal NEC operating funding was eliminated in 1994 but the museum has continued to respond to that expanded mandate. In 1991, the Museum became the core facility of the Community and Heritage Services Department, Planning, Development and Stewardship Division, Township of Langley.
Term Source: BCAUL
Print
Saved List Options
My Saved List
Select
/
Clear
Create a New Saved List
Add
Opens in a new window.
Argus v4.4.2.32 - Langley Centennial Museum